Wednesday, November 23, 2011

#12 - North Carolina, "The Tar Heel State" - Intro

I've been going to North Carolina for vacation for as long as I can remember, but only recently did I venture away from the Outer Banks and to the rest of the state. The same can be said for my foray's into NC beer. As of this summer, the only beer I can remember having from NC was Duck Rabbit's Amber Ale. Since then, I've had several more brews from three or four more breweries from the Tar Heel State.

North Carolina is very diverse geographically, with mountains in the West and coastal communities on the East side. Last year I visited Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham, each for the first time. Unfortunately I've been to pretty much every major area of North Carolina except for its undisputed beer capital, Asheville. Asheville is located in the Appalachain Mountains and it boasts a vibrant art scene.

Stats for NC:
Breweries/Brew Pubs: 49. Wow. Including 10 in Asheville alone.
Cleanest City: Charlotte. When we stayed downtown last year, it seemed like most of Charlotte had been built within the last year. Obviously not true, but it's really clean with wide sidewalks. Pretty small, but really cool.
Vacation Spot Least Like the Jersey Shore: The Outer Banks. Although it has become more and more popular, it's still a great place to go to relax and spend time on the beach. Plus the OBX Brewing Station is a high quality brew pub with really good food.

Here are the breweries I've tried from North Carolina:
Natty Greene's
Outer Banks Brewing Station
Mother Earth
Duck Rabbit
Highland

Check out this page for the rest of them. http://www.ncbeer.org/ncs-craft-breweries/

I'll probably just get the map up and skip the in depth look at every brewery since I'm pretty far behind.

Maybe when I visit Asheville for the first time I'll revisit it.

6 comments:

  1. I went on a vacation in the Outer Banks one year with a girl that I had broken up with already and her family. LOL.

    I have this enormous Weeping Radish mug from that trip. I believe it had beer in it at one point but not sure if it was from that brewery or not. I have no recollection really, only the mug to remember it. http://weepingradish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hi Few days ago i put a small article/list about all (I hope) beer brands in Iceland today on my site. How many Icelandic beer brands do you think you can buy in iceland Today ?

    Love and Peace Julius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I stumbled on your blog from beerbloggersconference.org and saw this post about NC beer. I'm a NC native and love the craft beer scene here. Duck Rabbit is a great brewery (their milk stout is one of my favorites). Full Steam in Durham, Big Boss in Raleigh and Aviator in Fuquay-Varina are some great ones in the Triangle area. Asheville is definitely a great place to visit if you're a beer lover too!

    Thanks for giving a shout out the the Tar Heel state! I hope you come back and explore more of what we have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jon,
      Thanks for reading! The craft beer community in NC is definitely top notch and seems to be growing pretty well. I like Duck Rabbit's Milk Stout as well, wasn't a huge fan of their Amber though. Ashville is on my list of places to go for sure.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Ive heard so much about asheville, I'm planning to go on a beer trip with some friends and that sounds like a good destination. Might check out the outer banks too!

    ReplyDelete