Wednesday, June 29, 2011

South Carolina Brewery Map and Trailies

If you drive from West to East in South Carolina, it will take you about 8 hours to get to every brewery. Realistically, and of course if you have a driver, you could probably do the first three in one day. Then you could visit the four Charleston area breweries over two days. And finally, you could enjoy New South all by itself and then relax on the beach while you bask in your newly gained brewing knowledge.

Here's the list of the breweries:
A - Thomas Creek
B - RJ Rockers
C - Skull Coast
D - Holy City
E - COAST
F - Palmetto
G - Westbrook
H - New South

View Larger Map

Trailies:
Most Creative Beer Styles: Skull Coast Ale Company. They like nuts. I have no idea when or how you add nuts during the brewing process, but they make an almond pale ale, and a porter with macadamia nuts, so they must grasp the concept.
Best Beer Name: Fish Paralyzer, RJ Rockers. I haven't been able to discern the origin of it's name, but I imagine that a pet fish drank too much of it and thought he could jump out of the tank, only to come up short, hit the edge, and paralyze himself. Somewhere there is a fish in a wheel chair that despises RJ Rockers.
Most Interesting Beer: White Thai, Westbrook Brewing. I'll definitely be trying this beer the next time I'm in Charleston, or if it somehow miraculously gets shipped to my front door....
WHITE THAI
Best Label: HopArt IPA, COAST Brewing. Brewers generally have a love affair with the hop flower. There's no doubting that it can get weird and border on psychopathic obsession, but in this case, I think it's an homage. Also, do I see a pirate down there on the bottom row?
 Hopart

The Palmetto State is an up and comer in the craft beer landscape. On top of creating quality brews, the  breweries there are also embracing the concept of green brewing. None of them have too large of a distribution footprint, but if you are in the Carolinas or Georgia anytime soon, be sure to throw back a couple  South Carolina brews. Next up is a drive back up the East coast to New Hampshire.

2 comments:

  1. "or if it somehow miraculously gets shipped to my front door...." In case, you know, anyone working for the brewery who I've previously quoted on this blog happens to be reading this...

    After you do a certain amount of these, you should have a "Best of the Trailies" post. Kinda like Jeopardy's "Tournament of Champions." Clearly "Fish Paralyzer" blows away the competition for Best Beer Name in South Carolina, but I think it'd hold its own pretty well against the other states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you accusing me of begging? I'm backing out of your wedding if you don't retract. Good luck finding another groomsman on two weeks notice.

    And, that is a great idea. I have been meaning to put up a page to compile all of the Trailies. Maybe in addition to that, every six months I'll update the best of page. Thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete